Tuesday, August 18, 2009




Top 12 for settling in....

Well I have unpacked most of my suitcases. We are also beginning to recognize landmarks close to our apartment. N. Africa is beautiful in so many ways. I will post pics very soon!

1. I just have to tell you that we found the school supply store today and it was well WONDERFUL! Of course it wasn't exactly like walking into Walmart, but there were pens of many colors, gluesticks, erasers, graph paper (which will take some getting used to), and markers, pastels, crayons, etc... ) But there's nothing like schools supplies to warm a teachers heart!

2. I went to the market for the first time and ordered a sausage and cheese sandwich, yogurt, and water in Arabic (woot-woot!) The salesmen are very patient! I can't wait to buy apples and other favorites that I can find here!!

3. I almost ran straight into a donkey today!!! The cars and other modes of transportation (mopeds, bikes, scooters) are aggressive and fast! It's like playing frogger (ATARII video game from the 80's) LOL but kinda scary.. We've decided that if we follow other locals then 'they can't take us all!" LOL This is a very verbal culture the volume of noise is incredible.. there is always innumerable events happening at once and sometimes I forget that I am walking down the street because I am distracted by everything.

4. We went to this crowded market place that used to be owned by the Jewish community and we saw anything that you could think to buy from tea pots, to hijabs, jllebas, shoes, sweets, towels, potato chips made fresh. All of the sales men are yelling and the people are just hustling and bustling by without caring if they bump into you or what!!!

5. Did I mention it's blazing hot here?! Did I mention I might regret bringing the snow pants?! Oh, but we did hear today that we can go hiking in the mountains, maybe I can wear them then. The mornings are very cool here which maybe a precursor to what a glimpse of winter might be........I am stretching this as far as I can, can you tell........

6. We are now used to hearing the call to prayer.

7. We took care of a small insect that snuck into our apartment as we were coming up the stairwell tonight. With lots of screaming, throwing of multiple shoes, running as it chased us, and some courage we took care of the situation and will be placing our first notch in our beloved "bug terminator"Bass Shoe size 9 donated by our dear friend Laura! :) Bring it on we say! (We've decided to buy bug spray tomorrow, just in cast!)

8. I will be teaching 1st grade and sharing 3rd grade with Suzanne! School begins on Sept. 8th, and inservice begin September 1st! :) Here comes the learning curve!

9. I can read french apparently. I was able to install the ASDL internet on my laptop after three tries! What do they say...the third time's the charm?!

10. I have observed that sometimes you can't be shy here, even if it takes leaning into a cab, rushing to a sales counter and speaking louder than three other people in a crowded area! Oh and we were advised today to bargain as much as possible on a variety of foods or items. I may need a little prayer and encouragement in this area...maybe that little talk about assertiveness in high school will pay off afterall! I'll let you know!

11. I learned how to properly greet women. It's very french. I place my cheek to her right cheek making a kissing sound in the air, go to her left cheek and do the same three to five times. The first night I was told that if I only greet with two or these then I am not perceived as being excited to see the woman I am greeting! This will be fun to try in the states someday! Just kidding! :)

12. I saw the palace of the king today! We heard that each tile was hand crafted and assembled! The entry doors are golden and had knobs that can only be reached from the height of horseback. There were soldiers standing guard. We took pictures and tried to peak in the sliver of sight b/w the doors to see a glimpse of gorgeous gardens!!!!! (I will post pics soon!)

Thank you for your warm wishes, prayers, and thoughts as I transition into life in N.Africa!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful introduction to your North African surroundings! Your descriptions brought pictures to my mind (and of course I am looking forward to seeing the actual photos, too :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now see~ this means when I kissed you on accident in the ONU cafeteria (thinking you were Jason) that I was just preparing you for North Africa! What a friend!
    This is very similar to how friends greet one another in Ethiopia. I actually missed this connection when I returned home to the States.

    ReplyDelete