Sunday, August 9, 2009

Great Expectations

Time is flying and all preparations have been made. In less than a week I will be 'leaving on a jet plane' to go to N. Africa! I have been asked many questions over the past few weeks. For instance, many people have want to know if I am excited or nervous. Some have even asked if I am afraid. I never feel like I have enough time to process my answer within the length of time provided in the conversation. To be honest, I have felt a range of emotions as I have read many texts, attempted to speak Arabic/French, and plan lessons for the year, so trying to melt it all down in to one sentence is a difficult task. I am greatly anticipating living in a new culture, yet I know that it will take time to adjust and find my place. My brain has been filled with fears and questions concerning my ability to handle the stress that major life change presents, but about a week ago when grappling with those questions in prayer a deluge of scripture came to mind.

-" I am with you until the end of the age..."

-"I will never leave you nor forsake you."

-"I am the Lord your God; I will hold your right hand saying do not fear for I am with you."
Isaiah 43:10

-"When you call I will answer and while you are yet speaking I will hear."

-"Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go, I will help you speak and teach you what to say."
Exodus 4:11

-"God is not a man that he should lie; nor a son of man that he should change his mind. Does he speak and not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"

-"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert...I provide water in the desert...to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise! " Isaiah 43:18-21

And finally I read this verse:

" The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." Isaiah 43:11

I have come to the conclusion that the Father has gone before me and it will be HIS strength that I will rely upon when I face any difficulty. My confidence will be in HIS ability because I know that I have limitations and that it's normal to fear the unknown. But the great thing about my limitations and fears is that HE can use them to show others how great HE is...I am honored to be considered worthy of such a divine audience.




1 comment: